Not the prettiest pie, but one of the tastiest…
It’s been brought to my attention that this is National Pie week. I LOVE pie, so I couldn’t let Pie Week go uncelebrated in my household. It’s not always easy to find good vegetarian pie recipes, but this is one that I love. It’s hearty and filling so it makes the best comfort food on grey, miserable days.
Spinach, Feta and Potato Pie
1 red onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3-4 large potatoes, diced and parboiled
A few generous handfuls of fresh baby spinach or 3-4 rounds of defrosted frozen spinach with excess water squeezed out
A good dollop of cream cheese (optional)
Crumbled feta/soft goats cheese
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1.On a medium heat, fry onions in a little sunflower oil until soft, then add garlic.
2. Add spinach – cook until wilted if using fresh spinach. Make sure that the mixture is not too watery at this point, fry for a little longer if it is.
3. Add seasoning, then stir in potatoes, cream cheese and feta/goats cheese.
4. Place mixture into a pie dish and allow to cool.
5. Roll out puff pastry and create the top of the pie in your preferred style (I usually go for a lattice arrangement).
6. Cook at 200°C for 20-30 minutes, until the pastry is browned.